- Doug Charles finds direction with Compass WinesPosted 59 mins ago
- Brian Carter Cellars tops Washington State Wine CompetitionPosted 1 day ago
- Vintners, growers hit road with story of Yakima Valley winePosted 2 days ago
- Alaska Airlines teams up with Precept for high-flying winesPosted 3 days ago
- Tempranillo adds zest to Northwest wine scenePosted 4 days ago
- Wild Walla Walla Wine Woman puts shop up for salePosted 5 days ago
- Union Wine Co. takes mobile tasting truck for first spin in PortlandPosted 6 days ago
- Challenges, rewards at Whidbey Island WineryPosted 1 week ago
- Washington wildfires unlikely to affect wine grapesPosted 1 week ago
- Great Northwest Destination Wineries: Col SolarePosted 1 week ago
Fresh white wines for summer fun
Nobody in the Northwest wine industry will ever call the 2013 vintage boring.
Unlike 2010 and 2011, the 2013 vintage started warm and stayed warm – until some weird weather showed up in September. The tail end of Typhoon Pabuk whipped across Oregon and straight into Washington’s Columbia Valley, mostly halting what had been an early harvest.
Then a glorious October settled across the Pacific Northwest, providing long, sunny days that were perfect for ripening wine grapes.
The result so far has been several spectacular wines that are now in the market in full force.
Here are 10 white wines from 2013 we’ve tasted in recent weeks. Ask for them at your favorite wine merchant or contact the wineries directly.