- New leadership at Adelsheim Vineyard in OregonPosted 3 days ago
- vinAmité Cellars finds its way in British Columbia wine industryPosted 4 days ago
- Myles Anderson sells his share of Walla Walla VintnersPosted 5 days ago
- Ashley Trout to pour Walla Walla wines at pre-Oscar party in L.A.Posted 6 days ago
- Merlot remains force in Northwest wine industryPosted 7 days ago
- Canadian wine industry toasts vintner Harry McWattersPosted 1 week ago
- Tax relief bill for small Washington wineries moves alongPosted 1 week ago
- Red Mountain turns more red and greenPosted 2 weeks ago
- WAWGG is now Washington Winegrowers AssociationPosted 3 weeks ago
- Okanagan Valley orchardists transition to stellar wines at C.C. JentschPosted 3 weeks ago
3rd Great Northwest Wine Competition begins today
HOOD RIVER, Ore. – The third annual Great Northwest Wine Competition begins today, and it has drawn a record number of entries from throughout Washington, Oregon, British Columbia and Idaho.
The judging, held at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel, attracted more than 1,200 entries, making it the largest judging of wines from the four Pacific Northwest states and province ever conducted.
The judging concludes Thursday, and all results will be announced soon after on GreatNorthwestwine.com.
Last year, Saviah Cellars’ 2011 Elephant Mountain GSM earned best of show at the second annual Great Northwest Wine Competition. In 2013, Zerba Cellars’ 2010 Malbec was the top wine.
As wines are judged, gold medals will be announced immediately after being awarded on Twitter (#greatnorthwestwine).
Great Northwest Wine Competition judges
Kristine Bono, winery evangelist, Alexandria Nicole Cellars, Woodinville and Prosser, Wash.
Katie Bray, executive director, Oregon Cheese Guild, Portland.
Big John Caudill, sales manager, Cuvee Northwest, Yakima, Wash.
Rich Cushman, owner/winemaker, Viento Wines, Hood River, Ore.
Cole Danehower, author/writer, EssentialNorthwestWines.com, Portland.
Jay Drysdale, owner/winemaker, Bella Wines, Naramata, British Columbia.
Ilene Dudunake, owner, A New Vintage Wine Shop, Meridian, Idaho
Don Elsing, wine director, Sun Mountain Lodge, Winthrop, Wash.
Shelly Fitzgerald, buyer, Downtown Spirits, Seattle.
Rachael Horn, owner/winemaker, AniChe Cellars, Underwood, Wash.
Kathryn House, enologist/educator, House of Wine, Boise, Idaho.
Richard Larsen, research winemaker, Washington State University, Richland, Wash.
Justin Michaud, winemaker, Coyote Canyon Winery, Prosser, Wash.
David Oldham, educational director, Precept Wine, Seattle.
Stephen Reustle, owner/winemaker, Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyards, Roseburg, Ore.
Yashar Shayan, proprietor, ImpulseWine.com, and certified sommelier, Seattle
Steven Sinkler, owner, The Wine Shack, Cannon Beach, Ore.
Coco Umiker, owner/winemaker, Clearwater Canyon Cellars, Lewiston, Idaho
Karl Umiker, owner/viticulturist, Clearwater Canyon Cellars, Lewiston, Idaho
Heather Unwin, executive director, Red Mountain AVA Alliance, Richland, Wash.
Wilfred Wong, chief storyteller, Wine.com, San Francisco
Jean Yates, president, Oregon Wine Marketing, Monroe, Ore.