- Lawmakers weigh 4th tasting room for Washington wineriesPosted 10 hours ago
- WSU lecture series to present ‘Climate Extremes’ wine symposiumPosted 1 day ago
- Reustle wins 5 double golds at San Francisco Chronicle wine judgingPosted 6 days ago
- Ste. Michelle brands ride tall at Houston rodeo judgingPosted 6 days ago
- San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition draws 6,850 entriesPosted 1 week ago
- Paterson takes Tantalus Vineyards to another levelPosted 1 week ago
- Oregon Riesling, we wish there was morePosted 2 weeks ago
- Oregon Tempranillo Celebration adds public tastingPosted 2 weeks ago
- Photojournalist looks back at 2016 vintage in Northwest winePosted 2 weeks ago
- Washington Malbec on the risePosted 3 weeks ago
3rd Great Northwest Wine Competition begins today
HOOD RIVER, Ore. – The third annual Great Northwest Wine Competition begins today, and it has drawn a record number of entries from throughout Washington, Oregon, British Columbia and Idaho.
The judging, held at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel, attracted more than 1,200 entries, making it the largest judging of wines from the four Pacific Northwest states and province ever conducted.
The judging concludes Thursday, and all results will be announced soon after on GreatNorthwestwine.com.
Last year, Saviah Cellars’ 2011 Elephant Mountain GSM earned best of show at the second annual Great Northwest Wine Competition. In 2013, Zerba Cellars’ 2010 Malbec was the top wine.
As wines are judged, gold medals will be announced immediately after being awarded on Twitter (#greatnorthwestwine).
Great Northwest Wine Competition judges
Kristine Bono, winery evangelist, Alexandria Nicole Cellars, Woodinville and Prosser, Wash.
Katie Bray, executive director, Oregon Cheese Guild, Portland.
Big John Caudill, sales manager, Cuvee Northwest, Yakima, Wash.
Rich Cushman, owner/winemaker, Viento Wines, Hood River, Ore.
Cole Danehower, author/writer, EssentialNorthwestWines.com, Portland.
Jay Drysdale, owner/winemaker, Bella Wines, Naramata, British Columbia.
Ilene Dudunake, owner, A New Vintage Wine Shop, Meridian, Idaho
Don Elsing, wine director, Sun Mountain Lodge, Winthrop, Wash.
Shelly Fitzgerald, buyer, Downtown Spirits, Seattle.
Rachael Horn, owner/winemaker, AniChe Cellars, Underwood, Wash.
Kathryn House, enologist/educator, House of Wine, Boise, Idaho.
Richard Larsen, research winemaker, Washington State University, Richland, Wash.
Justin Michaud, winemaker, Coyote Canyon Winery, Prosser, Wash.
David Oldham, educational director, Precept Wine, Seattle.
Stephen Reustle, owner/winemaker, Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyards, Roseburg, Ore.
Yashar Shayan, proprietor, ImpulseWine.com, and certified sommelier, Seattle
Steven Sinkler, owner, The Wine Shack, Cannon Beach, Ore.
Coco Umiker, owner/winemaker, Clearwater Canyon Cellars, Lewiston, Idaho
Karl Umiker, owner/viticulturist, Clearwater Canyon Cellars, Lewiston, Idaho
Heather Unwin, executive director, Red Mountain AVA Alliance, Richland, Wash.
Wilfred Wong, chief storyteller, Wine.com, San Francisco
Jean Yates, president, Oregon Wine Marketing, Monroe, Ore.