Locati Cellars 2010 Innovation, Columbia Valley, $20

By on April 20, 2015

Locati-cellars-Innovation-2010-BottleCollin Morrell’s Lonesome Spring Ranch provides the Barbera (50%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (25%) while the Locati family’s Mission Hills Vineyard in the Walla Walla Valley contributes the Sangiovese for this annual toast to Super Tuscan-style wines. Their angle to oak is rather fascinating with the Sangio in 40% new Hungarian barrels while the other lots are in 60% neutral barrel. The aromas are berry-filled, hinting at pie cherry and Hostess Blackberry Pie with vanilla and rose petals. On the pour, it shows tremendous balance as mild tannins and bright acidity mix with deliciously racy red fruit tones of raspberry, currants and fresh cranberry juice. They’ve established an award-winning tradition with this proprietary blend as the 2009 received a silver medal at the 2013 Great Northwest Wine Competition, and they’ve followed that up with a gold at the 2015 Seattle Wine and Food Experience Wine Awards. Look for these wines at the Locati tasting room just off the lobby at the Marcus Whitman Hotel in Walla Walla.

Rating: Outstanding!

Production: 375 cases

Alcohol: 13.4%

Winery website

About Great Northwest Wine

Articles authored by Great Northwest Wine are co-authored by Eric Degerman and Andy Perdue. In most cases, these are wine reviews that are judged blind by the Great Northwest Wine tasting panel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-spam measure * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.