- Idaho wine industry coming into its ownPosted 4 days ago
- Olympia gives Washington wineries more tasting roomsPosted 5 days ago
- Abacela, Bunnell star again at Pacific Rim International Wine CompetitionPosted 5 days ago
- Boushey takes over Klipsun Vineyard managementPosted 1 week ago
- Judges select favorites from 2017 Cascadia Wine CompetitionPosted 1 week ago
- Washington Syrah continues to grow in popularityPosted 2 weeks ago
- Red Mountain’s famed Klipsun Vineyard sold to Chicago firmPosted 2 weeks ago
- Bud break marks start of 2017 vintage for Washington winePosted 2 weeks ago
- Most Washington wineries won’t need new wastewater permitsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Maryhill Winery unveils plans for Spokane tasting roomPosted 2 weeks ago
A dozen delicious Washington Merlots
In the past five years, Washington Merlot has been pushed to the shadows – a little – by the rise of Cabernet Sauvignon. Yet Merlot remains one of the state’s most important varieties.
In many areas of the world, Merlot is a softer version of Cab. But in Washington, Merlot is a big, bold red, providing structure to many wines. It also pairs well with such cuisine as grilled and braised meats, Italian dishes such as lasagna and hearty stews.
It’s time to give Washington Merlot the respect it deserves. Here are a dozen delicious Washington Merlots we’ve tasted recently.