- Wild Goose tops 5th Cascadia Wine CompetitionPosted 8 hours ago
- Cascadia Wine Competition concludes today in OregonPosted 19 hours ago
- 5th annual Cascadia Wine Competition begins todayPosted 2 days ago
- Ancient Lakes fascinates as young Washington wine regionPosted 5 days ago
- 6 bills for Washington wineries alive in state LegislaturePosted 1 week ago
- Red Mountain vineyards pour 2016 wines for winemakersPosted 1 week ago
- California scientists share research with Walla Walla wine studentsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Syrah plays big role in Northwest red blendsPosted 2 weeks ago
- Shanken group dubs A to Z Wineworks of Oregon as Hot BrandPosted 2 weeks ago
- Coiled Wines to open tasting room in Boise, winery in Garden CityPosted 2 weeks ago
A dozen delicious Washington Merlots
In the past five years, Washington Merlot has been pushed to the shadows – a little – by the rise of Cabernet Sauvignon. Yet Merlot remains one of the state’s most important varieties.
In many areas of the world, Merlot is a softer version of Cab. But in Washington, Merlot is a big, bold red, providing structure to many wines. It also pairs well with such cuisine as grilled and braised meats, Italian dishes such as lasagna and hearty stews.
It’s time to give Washington Merlot the respect it deserves. Here are a dozen delicious Washington Merlots we’ve tasted recently.