- Ashley Trout to pour Walla Walla wines at pre-Oscar party in L.A.Posted 1 day ago
- Merlot remains force in Northwest wine industryPosted 2 days ago
- Canadian wine industry toasts vintner Harry McWattersPosted 3 days ago
- Tax relief bill for small Washington wineries moves alongPosted 4 days ago
- Red Mountain turns more red and greenPosted 1 week ago
- WAWGG is now Washington Winegrowers AssociationPosted 2 weeks ago
- Okanagan Valley orchardists transition to stellar wines at C.C. JentschPosted 2 weeks ago
- Walla Walla builds on reputation as wine destinationPosted 2 weeks ago
- Tulalip dinner seminar features Chris Figgins of Leonetti CellarPosted 2 weeks ago
- Alexana, Chehalem glitter at American Fine Wine Invitational judgingPosted 2 weeks ago
A dozen delicious Washington Merlots
In the past five years, Washington Merlot has been pushed to the shadows – a little – by the rise of Cabernet Sauvignon. Yet Merlot remains one of the state’s most important varieties.
In many areas of the world, Merlot is a softer version of Cab. But in Washington, Merlot is a big, bold red, providing structure to many wines. It also pairs well with such cuisine as grilled and braised meats, Italian dishes such as lasagna and hearty stews.
It’s time to give Washington Merlot the respect it deserves. Here are a dozen delicious Washington Merlots we’ve tasted recently.