- Walla Walla’s Jeff Popick retires this week from viticulture programPosted 12 hours ago
- Wahluke Slope is backbone of Washington wine industryPosted 2 days ago
- Portland winery TeSóAria offers vegan wine brunchPosted 3 days ago
- Research focus paying off for Washington wine industryPosted 4 days ago
- Mike Januik enjoys success, accolades from long winemaking careerPosted 5 days ago
- Abacela hires educator Chris Lake as vineyard managerPosted 6 days ago
- Idaho wine industry states its case for RieslingPosted 7 days ago
- Scenes from Sunday’s Riesling RendezvousPosted 1 week ago
- Riesling a favorite across Pacific NorthwestPosted 1 week ago
- Fire threatens Washington winery, vineyard near Red MountainPosted 1 week ago
- This event has passed.
Fleur de Lis Festival returns to Westport Winery
June 9, 2013| Free
ABERDEEN, Wash. — Westport Winery will stage its fifth annual Fleur de Lis Festival on Sunday, June 9 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. This year’s event will focus on the irises in bloom all around the farm.The winery will also open its newest garden, a lavender labyrinth. Within this garden will be the unveiling of the winery’s latest sculpture.
Our friend, the amazingly talented singer and songwriter, Ericka Corban, will be performing from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Ericka’s CDs Daydream and Autumnal Equinox are both available for purchase at Westport Winery.
Westport Winery has selected North River artist Sherryl Butts-Jackson to create two new art displays in the outdoor sculpture garden. All previous sculptures at Westport Winery were created to commemorate one of the winery’s 33 wines. Jackson’s two sculptures were selected as the centerpieces of new tour and display gardens at the winery.
The first sculpture, Love, will be in the winery’s new lavender labyrinth. The labyrinth, designed by winery co-owner Kim Roberts in collaboration with Lavender at Stonegate owner Sarah Bader, will feature 350 Lavandula Angustifolia Royal Velvet. Bader is the author of The Lavender Lover’s Handbook, published by Timber Press, and is available for purchase at Westport Winery.
Bader will be signing her books at this event. The winery is also planting an additional 20 varieties of lavender in its Vineyards By-the-Sea for use in their restaurant, bakery and gift shop. All of these unusual plants selections will also be available for purchase in the winery’s nursery.
Jackson’s second sculpture will be the centerpiece of the winery’s French formal garden. This is one of seven “Destination Gardens” created to teach guests how to design their favorite vacation destination in their own backyard and is part of the winery’s nursery.
Jackson is a member of the Harbor Art Guild and shows her work at Six Rivers Gallery in Hoquiam, Fusions Gallery in Ocean Shores and Matter Gallery in Olympia. Her work was featured at the Grays Harbor College Fall Gala during the past two years. She is the author and illustrator of the children’s book Huckleberry Creek.