- Plan for Walla Walla’s Fall Release WeekendPosted 5 hours ago
- Mega Purple – an insidious additive that can ruin a winePosted 1 day ago
- 17th annual Platinum Judging begins todayPosted 2 days ago
- Inside Walla Walla’s Artifex: More than a custom-crush facilityPosted 3 days ago
- Climate change presents possibilities, challenges for Washington wine industryPosted 4 days ago
- Cabernet Sauvignon is king in WashingtonPosted 5 days ago
- Woodinville WineCraft auction moves to Columbia WineryPosted 6 days ago
- Washington wine growers, irrigators grapple with climate changePosted 1 week ago
- Walla Walla’s Doubleback making its own identityPosted 1 week ago
- Charles Smith reshapes Washington wine industryPosted 1 week ago
- This event has passed.
Wine Yakima Valley Summer Vineyard Tour
August 1, 2015 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm$85
Wine Yakima Valley provides consumers insider access to some of the best grape growers in the state with its annual Yakima Valley Summer Vineyard Tour.
The Saturday, Aug. 1 tour will feature respected winemaker/grower David O’Reilly and one of the Yakima Valley sites recognized for growing award-winning Rhône variety grapes — Joe Hattrup’s Elephant Mountain Vineyard. The tour includes a picnic in the vineyard high atop the Elephant Mountain Vineyard plateau near Konnowac Pass.
Tickets for each tour are $85 and include wine, food, transportation, and a grower education tour. Limited number of tickets available.
Elephant Mountain Vineyard – Reeling in the Rhônes – Elephant Mountain Vineyard sits on a series of gentle, southern-facing slopes at elevations from 1320 to 1460 feet above the irrigated portion of the Yakima Valley. The vineyard receives the same heat units as Red Mountain, but it ripens about three weeks later. These conditions have been paramount in elevating the vineyard as a leader in Rhône grapes such as Mourvèdre and the emerging popularity of GSM, a New World-style of Rhône blends that stands for Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre.
Owen Roe Vineyard – Planted to Perfection – Guests will enjoy an intimate tour of this hillside vineyard owned by O’Reilly, famed winemaker of Owen Roe winery. Taste through the winery’s most sought after wines and see how this 35 acre vineyard was purposefully planted to produce grapes that express the unique terroir that is Yakima Valley. Experience the elevations and slope of this young vineyard and learn why the steep rocky soils are so important to growing exceptional grapes.