- 17th annual Platinum Judging begins todayPosted 8 hours ago
- Inside Walla Walla’s Artifex: More than a custom-crush facilityPosted 1 day ago
- Climate change presents possibilities, challenges for Washington wine industryPosted 2 days ago
- Cabernet Sauvignon is king in WashingtonPosted 3 days ago
- Woodinville WineCraft auction moves to Columbia WineryPosted 4 days ago
- Washington wine growers, irrigators grapple with climate changePosted 5 days ago
- Walla Walla’s Doubleback making its own identityPosted 6 days ago
- Charles Smith reshapes Washington wine industryPosted 1 week ago
- Judges select favorites at Great Northwest Invitational Wine CompetitionPosted 1 week ago
- Commentary: Why the lack of women winemakers in Washington?Posted 1 week ago
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine conducts a one-of-a-kind wine competition. It’s called The Great Northwest Wine Invitational Wine Competition.
Here’s how it works:
- We invite influential wine professionals to join us in this competition.
- Each of them has nominated up to 100 Pacific Northwest wines to be judged.
- Each of them will then judge the wines during our blind competition.
Here are the nominating judges:
- Naomi Boutz is manager and wine director of The Cellar at 317 Sherman in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.
- Amberleigh Brownson is founding wine buyer/co-owner of EAT Restaurant and Bar in Bellingham, Wash.
- Dan Carr is co-owner/wine buyer and executive chef of Visconti’s Restaurants in Leavenworth and Wenatchee, Wash., and proprietor/director of operations for Cured by Visconti’s.
- Doug Charles is proprietor of Compass Wines in Anacortes, Wash.
- Jeff Cox is wine buyer for PCC Natural Markets in the Puget Sound.
- Mike Dunne is the wine columnist for the Sacramento (Calif.) Bee.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop near Boise, Idaho.
- Dave Holstrom owns Guy du Vin, a restaurant wine program consulting business in Portland.
- Chris Horn is the wine director for Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group and Purple Café & Wine Bar.
- Lane Hoss is the wine buyer and vice president of marketing for Anthony’s Restaurants.
- Ellen Landis is a sommelier, wine journalist and renowned international wine judge.
- Amy Mullally is the domestic wine buyer for The Wine Country in Long Beach, Calif.
- Tim O’Brien is corporate director of beverage at Salty’s Restaurants in Seattle.
- Katelyn Peil is beverage director of the Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group.
- April Reddout is wine program manager of the Walter Clore Center in Prosser, Wash.
- Yashar Shayan is a certified sommelier and founder of the Seattle-based retailer ImpulseWine.com.
- Steve Sinkler is owner of The Wine Shack in Cannon Beach, Ore.
- Dave Smith is wine buyer for Everything Wine in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Annie Sullivan is the assistant beverage director and public relations manager for Anthony’s Restaurants.
- Audrey Surrao is co-owner/wine buyer of RauDZ Regional Table in Kelowna, British Columbia.
- Mark Takagi is specialty sales director of the Seattle-based Metropolitan Market group.
- Randa Wolf, wine director, Columbia Gorge Hotel, Hood River, Ore.
- Jean Yates is president of Oregon Wine Marketing.
- Paul Zitarelli is owner for Full Pull Wines in Seattle and wine writer for Seattle magazine.
The 2016 Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition takes place Oct. 5-6 at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel.
Gold medals will be posted on Twitter as they are awarded and emailed to the wineries. Full results will be posted upon the conclusion of the competition.