- Sub-freezing temperatures don’t concern Washington wine grape growersPosted 23 hours ago
- 8 Northwest wines make Wine.com top 100 listPosted 2 days ago
- 80 years after repeal of Prohibition, history repeats with marijuanaPosted 3 days ago
- Silvara Vineyards in Leavenworth turns corner with gold medalsPosted 4 days ago
- Wine lovers head into holidays with Walla Walla Valley weekendPosted 5 days ago
- San Francisco Chronicle shows love to Northwest winesPosted 6 days ago
- Northstar Winery offers blending trials for customersPosted 1 week ago
- Northwest wines shine at Sonoma’s Grand Harvest Awards competitionPosted 1 week ago
- 10 wines for Northwest tailgate partiesPosted 1 week ago
- Yamhill-Carlton wineries begin using AVA-specific bottlePosted 1 week ago
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine is putting on a new kind of wine competition. It’s called The Great Northwest Wine Invitational Wine Competition.
Here’s how it works:
- We have invited several influential wine professionals to join us in this competition.
- Each of them has nominated up to 100 Pacific Northwest Wines to be judged.
- Each of them will then judge the wines during our blind competition.
Here are the judges:
- Fred Armstrong is the wine director for the Ringside Hospitality Group in Portland
- Cole Danehower is the publisher at EssentialNorthwestWines.com, contributes the Northwest content for Hugh Johnson’s Pocket Wine Book and was longtime editor of Northwest Palate magazine.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop, 12-year-old business near Boise, Idaho.
- Don Elsing is the wine director at Sun Mountain Lodge in Winthrop, Wash.
- Dave Holstrom owns Guy du Vin, a restaurant wine program consulting business in Portland.
- Chris Horn is the wine director at Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group and Purple Cafe & Wine Bar.
- Lane Hoss is vice president of marketing at Anthony’s Restaurants.
- Tim O’Brien is corporate director of beverage at Salty’s Restaurants.
- Christine Prentice is director of liquids at Cantina Restaurant in San Francisco.
- Yashar Shayan is sommelier and founder of the Seattle-based retailer ImpulseWine.com.
- Mark Takagi is specialty sales director of the Seattle-based Metropolitan Market group.
- Jean Yates is president and founder of Avalon Wine in Corvallis, Ore.
- Paul Zitarelli is founder of Full Pull Wines in Seattle.
- The nominating panel also included Cortney Lease, company wine director of Seattle-based Wild Ginger.
The 2013 Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition takes place Nov. 6-7 at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel.
Gold medals will be posted on Twitter as they are awarded and emailed to the wineries. Full results will be posted upon the conclusion of the competition.