- A Great Northwest Wine Time MachinePosted 7 hours ago
- Horse Heaven Hills the driving force behind Washington growthPosted 1 day ago
- Oregon wineries should plan for another warm vintage, scientist saysPosted 2 days ago
- Allen Shoup to be inducted into Washington Wine Hall of FamePosted 4 days ago
- Washington Cabernet Sauvignon crushes competitionPosted 4 days ago
- Oregon winery restriction sparks comments on The Rocks AVA petitionPosted 5 days ago
- Red blends are big winners in Pacific NorthwestPosted 6 days ago
- Yakima Valley feast pairs wine, food, poetryPosted 1 week ago
- Great Northwest Destinations: Desert Wind WineryPosted 1 week ago
- 2nd generation joins Woodward Canyon WineryPosted 1 week ago
Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition
Great Northwest Wine is putting on a new kind of wine competition. It’s called The Great Northwest Wine Invitational Wine Competition.
Here’s how it works:
- We have invited several influential wine professionals to join us in this competition.
- Each of them has nominated up to 100 Pacific Northwest Wines to be judged.
- Each of them will then judge the wines during our blind competition.
Here are the judges:
- Fred Armstrong is the wine director for the Ringside Hospitality Group in Portland
- Cole Danehower is the publisher at EssentialNorthwestWines.com, contributes the Northwest content for Hugh Johnson’s Pocket Wine Book and was longtime editor of Northwest Palate magazine.
- Ilene Dudunake owns A New Vintage Wine Shop, 12-year-old business near Boise, Idaho.
- Don Elsing is the wine director at Sun Mountain Lodge in Winthrop, Wash.
- Dave Holstrom owns Guy du Vin, a restaurant wine program consulting business in Portland.
- Chris Horn is the wine director at Seattle-based Heavy Restaurant Group and Purple Cafe & Wine Bar.
- Lane Hoss is vice president of marketing at Anthony’s Restaurants.
- Tim O’Brien is corporate director of beverage at Salty’s Restaurants.
- Christine Prentice is director of liquids at Cantina Restaurant in San Francisco.
- Yashar Shayan is sommelier and founder of the Seattle-based retailer ImpulseWine.com.
- Mark Takagi is specialty sales director of the Seattle-based Metropolitan Market group.
- Jean Yates is president and founder of Avalon Wine in Corvallis, Ore.
- Paul Zitarelli is founder of Full Pull Wines in Seattle.
- The nominating panel also included Cortney Lease, company wine director of Seattle-based Wild Ginger.
The 2013 Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition takes place Nov. 6-7 at the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel.
Gold medals will be posted on Twitter as they are awarded and emailed to the wineries. Full results will be posted upon the conclusion of the competition.