- Washington’s Westport Winery to open Cannon Beach tasting roomPosted 15 hours ago
- Pinot Noir by Ken Wright wins rare U.S. gold medal in LondonPosted 2 days ago
- Washington wines inspired by BordeauxPosted 3 days ago
- McMenamins uses historic Gearhart Golf Links to promote Oregon Wine MonthPosted 3 days ago
- Oregon’s Reustle scores again in California wine judgingPosted 5 days ago
- Telaya Wine Co. follows up awards with Boise River tasting roomPosted 6 days ago
- Mercer Estates opens wine bar at KeyArenaPosted 7 days ago
- Red Mountain winemakers taste mechanically harvested CabPosted 1 week ago
- Oregon wineries embrace Memorial Day weekendPosted 1 week ago
- Washington’s Great Cabernet SauvignonsPosted 1 week ago
Great Northwest Destinations: Youngberg Hill
Editor’s note: This is the second in an occasional series on destination wineries of the Pacific Northwest.
MCMINNVILLE, Ore. – One of the most beautiful, serene and relaxing places in the Pacific Northwest also is crafting seriously delicious wines.
Youngberg Hill offers some of the most amazing views in the Pacific Northwest and provides eight stunning rooms for those who want to pamper themselves in the heart of Oregon wine country.
Youngberg Hill launched in 1996 and is owned by Wayne and Nicolette Bailey. The 50-acre estate sits atop a hill surrounded by organically farmed vineyards. The 20 acres of vines are primarily Pinot Noir along with Pinot Gris, and the oldest vines date back to 1989.
Youngberg Hill is in the McMinnville American Viticultural Area, a region of the northern Willamette Valley that is often misunderstood because the nearby city of McMinnville is not in the AVA. Rather, the McMinnville AVA is west of town and is home to many top vineyards, including Hyland, Maysara and Meredith Mitchell.
Wayne Bailey produces the wine with Robert Brittan, a longtime Napa Valley winemaker. Brittan studied at Oregon State University before heading to U.C. Davis to finish his education. He was the winemaker at famed Stags’ Leap Winery before his passion for Pinot Noir brought him back to northern Oregon to launch Brittan Vineyards, also in the McMinnville AVA.
Together, they make four different Pinot Noirs at Youngberg Hill, as well as an estate Pinot Gris and a Pinot Blanc using grapes from nearby Yamhill Valley Vineyards.
The wines, views and elegant surroundings combine to make Youngberg Hill one of the most memorable locations you are likely to find in the Pacific Northwest. In addition to the estate wines, no fewer than 150 wineries are within a 20-minute drive of Youngberg Hill, as are many of the top restaurants in the Willamette Valley.
Youngberg Hill accommodations
The guest rooms range in price from $180 to $349 per night, and they include four suites with king-sized beds and four rooms with queens. If you’re willing to take your eyes off the 270-degree view that includes Mount Jefferson, Mount Hood, the Sisters and the Coast Range, Youngberg Hill does provide free Wi-Fi and will even loan you an iPad if you want to watch a movie on Netflix.
And the two-course gourmet breakfast will get you in the mood to take in some serious wine tasting throughout the northern Willamette Valley.
Those looking for a picture-perfect wedding will want to consider Youngberg Hill, which can accommodate up to 350 guests in its outdoor venue or 50 of your closest friends and family indoors. Prefer to keep it simple? Youngberg Hill even offers an elopement package that includes a justice of the peace.
Youngberg Hill amenities
- Gift shop
- Picnic area
- Concert venue
- Live music
- Food for sale
Nearby restaurants recommended by Youngberg Hill
Nearby coffee places recommended by Youngberg Hill
Other activities to enjoy near Youngberg Hill
- Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum (home to the Spruce Goose)
- Evergreen Waterpark
- Silver Falls State Park
- Linfield College
- Downtown McMinnville shopping
- Pacific City (45 minutes away on the Oregon Coast
- Wildlife viewing and photography, including hawks, kestrels, bobcats, coyotes, deer and two herds of elk that circle the property